Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Turkey Day

So our day started like all other morning. Addison woke up and ate an apple, a yogurt, and some cheerios. Upon realizing that her dad was eating without her she got back up to the counter to have her second helping of breakfast. (Which will be followed by a morning snack, first lunch, second lunch, an afternoon snack, and dinner - but that's a post for another day).

Since I had already baked our cranberry apple pie for dinner (and that was all we were assigned) we decided to take advantage of the clear and beautiful morning and get our lights hung. Thanksgiving in the 50s is heavenly! Addison walked around the yard and talked to her dad who was up on the roof stringing lights.

She also spent a good 20 minutes following the neighborhood cat everywhere. She would talk to it and point at it and run after it - and couldn't understand why it wouldn't say hi in return.

It was after this fun time that I decided to take Addison in for a nap and I noticed that she was starting to get a hive on her neck. I went back outside to ask Oliver if he had noticed and he said that he thought he saw it when she woke up but wondered if I'd given her a hickey. It was just small on the back of her neck so I called my MIL and she said we could still come for dinner and she would look at it when we got there (she's a nurse).

Well it had grown and was spreading to Addison's armpits and back by the time she woke from her nap so we went up to Oliver's parents house, dropped of our Thanksgiving contribution, had Heidi take a peek, and then decided to take her to the kidscare. Well, there were 2 kidscares open on Thanksgiving in the Salt Lake Area - one in Bountiful and on in Murray. I called both and it was a 90 minute wait in Murray or I could make an appointment with no wait in Bountiful. So we headed to Bountiful and here is Addison waiting for less than 3 minutes in the waiting room - and a few pics of her hives when we got to kidscare.

The pediatrician asked if she'd eaten anything new, was on any meds, antibiotics, breathing weird, fever, new soap, etc, etc, etc. Nope to all of the above. So the only thing she could say is that Addison's body has developed hives in order to fight whatever virus she might have. She said that if they started itching she could take benadryl and if she started having a fever or any other symptoms to see our doctor. She said that we could go back to our family party because the hives weren't contagious as long as there were no sick people or brand new babies.

So we headed back to our Thanksgiving feast and Addison was her happy playful-self. She played with her 2nd cousins (from the Lyon side of our family) and had a great time eating and running around. I really can't tell you how wonderful the weather was! As you can see from the pictures the hives on her neck were starting to bother her and she kept scratching them. It's a good thing I had been inspired to cut all her nails that morning.

After playing the yard for awhile I tried to head out and buy some Benadryl for her but the grocery store had closed at 4 and then Walgreens closed at 6 - so we headed home because we had some in our own medicine cabinet. These last pictures are what Addison looked like right before she went to bed at 6:30 pm tonight. See how much worse the hives have spread on her back since kidscare?!? We'll see how she looks in the morning...but it is getting WORSE!

All things considered - we actually had a very night Thanksgiving. It's my favorite meal of the year - and this year didn't disappoint. It was great to see a small part of the Lyon family and I was truly thankful for the kidscare staff that sacrifice to be away from their families on such a special holiday to help out families in need.

There is always so much to be Thankful for...I can't even begin to list all of my blessings. But I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful, family-filled holiday.

PS Yes, I made Addison's shirt - I'm going to make myself a button that says - "Yes I actually made something I pinned" :) I am thankful for Pinterest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Myles started breaking out in hives when he was 14 months old. He did that every winter for the next 4 years. They usually lasted 2 or 3 days. They look painful and gross but he never complained about them hurting. I heard they are like chicken pocks-they hurt more the older you get. We found that Benadryl and baking soda oatmeal baths helped. We still haven't figured out why he ever got them. But my pediatrician saved me a lot of money in co pays by telling me that some kids are just prone to hives while others aren't....
hope she gets better soon!