Monday, January 9, 2012

Learning to Say Thanks

My sister is the best person I know for sending notes, cards, thanks, etc. Rarely a holiday has past that I haven't received of her kindness and thoughtfulness. This isn't a virtue that I inherited but it is one that we want to instill in Addison. So, the Sunday after Christmas, we gathered around the table to make thank you notes for all the people that sent/gave Addison gifts. She did the painting and I wrote a quick little message. As she gets older, she'll be privileged to do both.

I saw a recipe online to make my own finger paint out of flour, water, and food coloring. And since Addison spent more time licking the paint then actually painting - it was good that it was edible. Oliver gave it a taste after she kept licking away and it didn't taste good at all...silly girl.

All I did was add about 2 tablespoons of white flour with a little water to make a thin paste and then added a few drops of food coloring. To make painting extra easy for Addison and her VERY short attention span, I taped a piece of waxed paper to the kitchen table and then every 15 seconds or so I laid a clean piece of paper over her work and "picked it up" creating 20 pictures in less than 5 minutes. I just kept dropping color of paint onto the waxed paper in between each picture and she kept eating and smearing. She was more than done after 5 minutes - but we got enough "works of art" to mail to everyone that loves her so much!


(Now if I could just get my act together and get them in the mail - that would be a miracle. I did buy stamps on Friday night so I'm hopeful. Either way - it's the thought that counts - right? Okay, I know, wrong - so I'm trying really hard!)

No comments: