Friday, January 14, 2011

WW Recipe - Beach Street Lemon Chicken Linguini

I love WW but I don't always love trying to find dinner ideas and having to figure out the points. Sometimes we eat bland stuff 'cause it's just easier to count the points. I have been making a real effort this year to actually make dinner and not make chicken/starch/veggie at every meal.

Since so many of my friends have started WW I decided that when I cook a tasty recipe I will share it with you so you don't have to calculate and you can know that I think it's TASTY! Even if you aren't on WW, eating healthier is important to almost everyone.

I really wanted to try Beach Street Lemon Chicken Linguini. I put her recipe into the recipe builder and it came to 94 POINTS for the whole recipe WITHOUT THE CHEESE! I about died...then I picked myself up and started the modification process. So without further ado here is my modified WW version that Oliver loved too...

Beach Street Lemon Chicken Linguini
2 oz uncooked linguini (per adult) - 5 PP
1 t olive oil (per adult) - 1 PP (needed for daily healthy guidelines so just suck it up!)
Zest from one lemon - FREE
Juice from one lemon - FREE
½ c. chopped green onion - FREE
¼ c. chopped fresh parsley - FREE
Salt and freshly ground pepper - FREE

Marinade:
½ c. water - FREE
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used powder) - FREE
2 T. Cajun seasoning - FREE
2 T. lemon juice - FREE
2 T. minced parsley (I used dried) - FREE
1 T. brown sugar (or more if you like it a little sweeter) - 1 PP
2 T. soy sauce - FREE
2 chicken breasts, sliced. (OR 16 extra large shrimp OR 8 costco chicken tenders) - 1 PP per cooked ounce

* Combine the marinade ingredients in a Ziploc bag.
* Place frozen chicken in marinade to coat. Refrigerate 1-12 hours.
* Cook marinated chicken with the marinade sauce in a large saute pan on medium heat until chicken is cooked. (Because we are using water in our marinade, the water boils off and the marinade turns into a rub...if you don't like spicy then half the Cajun seasoning because there is no oil to dilute it.)

* Cook linguini in boiling salted water until done; drain well and rinse noodles.
* Combine juice of one lemon, zest, olive oil, green onions, and fresh parsley together. (If you already ate your healthy oil for the day then you can omit the oil and save 1 PP values or you can add 2 t for 2 PP values to get your daily allotment if still needed.)
* Add hot pasta into bowl and toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Notes: I measured our pasta so I knew I was eating exactly 5 pts worth and then I weighed my cooked chicken so I had an accurate count and then I tossed them together. You could toss the chicken in with the pasta and just eat but I like to have an accurate count of my points. Because 1 T of brown sugar marinated 12 ounces of cooked chicken and I only at 3 oz then I didn't count the 1 PP value. It just depends on how much chicken you make and how much you eat.

I still needed 1 t of oil when I made this so my dinner was 5 PP for pasta + 1 for oil + 3 for chicken = 9 PP values. It was really yummy - it was filling - we had veggies on the side and there is leftover rubbed chicken for salad! Let me know if you try it!

5 comments:

Carrie and Jake Kresser said...

Ok...so I'm sort of obsessed with food blogging. Have you seen this blog? www.skinnytaste.com

She gives recipes makeovers to make them more healthy. She also does weight watcher specific recipes (you can sort recipes by point value). Check it out for more WW cooking ideas! I have friends who swear by it. And thanks for sharing this recipe - sounds tasty!

Evan and Holly said...

I should send you some of mine. :) We ate a vegetable toad-in-the-hole that I modified and liked it a lot. You could easily add chicken too. I don't know if Oliver will like it though, but maybe for you for lunches or something.

Evan and Holly said...

I made it for dinner tonight. No green onions (none in house or lemons or lemon juice) I added some cherry tomatoes instead. I used all lime juice. And no cajun seasoning (none in house). It was so good though. I made twice the chicken so doubled the marinade and I don't think it ended up cooking off. I think even though I did so much chicken I'd do the same amount of water next time but double spices.

I measured out 4 oz of pasta and it made more than 1 cup of pasta a piece, but I figure it is still 5 points each cuz I measured it out.

Evan loved it and so did I. It was so tasty and very filling like you said. Thanks so much. I love sharing recipes with you.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness was this amazing!! We were out of brown sugar so I used powered sugar, and I had an abundance of {free coupon} penne pasta. WOW Tim was so impressed! And this was sooo easy!!! I also sauted zucchini and used my olive oil for that instead of having it with the pasta. INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks Heidi!

Unknown said...

This was AMAZING!!! I was out of brown sugar so I used powdered sugar and I had an abundance of (free thanks to coupons) penne pasta. INCREDIBLE! Tim was so impressed and my little 2 year old man had seconds!! It was just spicy enough for our tastes!! I saved the olive oil for some sauted zucchini on the side! Printing this one out for my recipe book! Thanks Heidi!